Monday, June 22, 2009

"Z" Very Good Day

Z's vignette brings back fond memories to all of us that installed our first packages alone!
Thanks for sharing
Welcome!


6/17- Bee Day. I wasn't quite ready to have my bees at home but if I didn't take this opportunity I don't think I would have gotten any bees this year.
So on the morning of the 17th I busted my butt to paint my hive and get it into place were it would stay, of course all done with a little help from Dan, my boyfriend.
In the afternoon Dan and I went to Kentre Farms and picked up the package. The anxiety slowly began to rise. You could hear quite the hum coming from the back seat as we drove home. When we got home I suited up and took all the tools necessary to hive the bees. I walked back to the hive with the girls and made Dan take pictures from a little ways away. I sprayed the bees with a little sugar water and then I was off. I tried to get the feeder can out and I couldn't get a hold of it with my gloved hands.I was freaking out a bit so Dan came over and helped me pull it up part way and then walked away. I pulled the can out and the queen and then covered the top of the box again. I was shaking by this time. A lot of bees came out with her on her cage. I brushed them off and they were flying all around me. She was alive and moving around her little cage. I pushed the two bent nails into her little cage with my shaking hands, grabbed the pliers and pulled out the cork to put in the candy plug, and hung her. While I was doing this I think some bees were escaping from the box because I had only put a piece of card board over the hole. A fare amount of bees were flying around me at this point. I finally got her hanging though and grabbed the bee box and started shaking them over their queen and into the space where the frames had been removed. I gently spread them out with my hand and replaced the missing frames. I put the inner cover on, the food chamber, added the feeder and closed it up with the outer cover. My heart was pounding hard.
Finally I left the box with the bees that didn't come out in front of the hive and walked away.
For the hour after I was still really jumpy from having so much anxiety while hiving them but I couldn't stop looking at them and wondering if they liked their new home. I kept walking out to the hive to see if they were going into the hive and to make sure they were still there.
Today I have found myself just as curious with a lot less anxiety. I went and sat by the hive this morning and watched them come and go. I think they like there new home. I am going to be a good bee momma once I can stop shaking when dealing with them, I guess that will come with time.
Z

No comments: