Saturday, May 16, 2009

BEES ARE US

















First, let me introduce myself. My name is Alan Ray. My wife, Issa, and I are among the newest newbees in Denver, having just installed our first two hives in the past couple of weeks. The garden already seems happier!

All I can say is, it didn’t take long for us to fall completely in love with our new backyard neighbors. Everyone in the family has taken to sitting beside the hives enthralled with the little magicians. We’ve even named them. No, not all 20,000 of them! But we did get tired of calling it “hive one” and “hive two”. So now all the bees in hive one are the Bettys. Hive two is home to the Berthas.

I got my feet wet capturing swarms last week on a quiet street not far from downtown. I got a phone call from Marygael and, before I knew what hit me, was standing atop a ladder reaching twenty-five feet up into a spruce tree. The building tenant was a great sport about the bees hovering over his sidewalk—but wasn’t so sure his clients and neighbors would have a sense of humor about it. So, up I went and talked them (the Berthas) into a bucket. It was excellent fun. I highly recommend it.

Now they are settling in to the backyard just as the strawberries are blossoming, along with the apple, cherry, and pear trees. We can’t wait for a little taste of honey in the fall. But honestly, just knowing they are there is reward enough.

Be well and be free!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan,
I saw the blog on the Denver beekeeper website and found it very interesting. As a resident coming home to 15+ bees in her bedroom I have to say I felt a bit threatened. I knew they didn't sting like a wasp would and know how important they are but needless to say wasn't comfortable sharing my bed with them! The year after that (2008) we found a huge swarm in a backyard tree and this summer they are flying around the bedroom window again.

I was happy to find there is a group that cares about bees the way you do and thought you might be able to offer some insight. I just left a voice mail with Paul and understand he's pretty busy, especially now.

If you have time, I would love to talk/email you about what approach to take with our bees. They joined our "community living" environment(condominium) and I don't think the other tenants are comfortable with the bees so close by, one tenant is allergic.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Best Regards, Lisa ashbyhouseg@yahoo.com